Friday 6 November 2015

Do NOT STEAL my images or my written work, please

DO NOT STEAL THIS IMAGE!!
Unfortunately, I have needed to write a blog about this topic.
Some time back I found an image of one of my dogs on a different "breed"  Facebook page, claiming my dog was their breed.
That image was stolen, and used without permission.
Then, some slimebag, stole another image of mine to use on the front of his crappy e-Book without permission.
I informed Amazon, and they removed it, and sent a cease and desist letter to the person.
 It seems that many people think just because it is on Facebook, they can freely use them.
"Sharing" posts is not what I am referring to here.
Stealing images, to use on your own blog, or  using my writings, without prior permission is the problem.
There seems to be a lot of misunderstandings about the use of these images, many thinking that it is okay to pick an image off social media and just use it,
or believing that once it is "out there" in social media land,  it is free to use however and whenever.

I would like to take a moment to clarify this,as I hate seeing my images used illegally, inappropriately and of course without my permission or correct attribution.

So, here is some basic information regarding the use of my writing or photographic images.

Copyright is a federal law.
The law states that the minute I write it, the moment I draw it, the second I make the picture, the moment I express it dramatically or musically,  I own the copyright.
It is mine.
 I do not need to water mark it in any way, for the copyright to be in place,
although I do try to, as a reminder to anyone wanting to use it.
Without watermark it is still legally my image and my writings.

If I place my image on FB, or instagram or anywhere, it does not mean that I have lost my rights to the photo or story, I still own the copyright.
Many people believe that if you place it on Facebook, you lose the rights to it.
That is not the case.
 Actually, Facebook monitors this and will remove, if someone infringes on your copyright rights. Facebook is not exempt from federal law.

In no way, or form may you use it without my express permission,
and if I do give you permission, you have to give correct attribution for the use of it.
You may not transform or change the image in any way, no cropping out my water mark, photoshopping etc.

Using an image from someone else without permission is in essence "STEALING" it.
That means, I can sue you.
As attorney Sara Hawkins says " You’ve heard the adage that a picture is worth a thousand words, but when that picture is protected by copyright, the picture is only worth three words: cease and desist."

However,  you may be surprised,
if you would ask me,
and I believe that the image or writing,  will be used in a good way,
I will mostly likely allow you to use an image of mine  providing you use correct attribution.
The same applies to text, quotes and any of my writings.

I love sharing my pictures and my experiences, so am always open for good use.


To read more:
http://blog.kenkaminesky.com/photography-copyright-and-the-law/

Google images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...